Unity Game Engineering Lead - Game Studio
The Unity Gameplay Engineering Lead will lead the project engineering team through the design, implementation, delivery, and maintenance of high-quality technical solutions. You will collaborate across disciplines to determine and prioritize the needs of the product from both strategic and tactical perspectives. You will act as both a manager and a mentor, fostering a team culture of collaboration, inclusivity, and empowerment. You will strive to develop processes and solutions that help to support a sustainable work life for your team
- Lead a team of engineers and partner with stakeholders to establish clear priorities and define expectations that translate to a scope of work in which the team can effectively deliver
- Work closely with the team to plan, architect, and build large-scale game features
- Collaborate with architects, other teams, product owners, and software engineers to help design the technical roadmap, and enable your team to execute on it
- Identify and resolve complex issues in a live game environment
- Partner with other Leads to identify opportunities to maximize player experience and performance
- Partner with Director to establish metrics and KPIs for the team, guide team to achieving goals within project constraints
- Coach team members to their optimum performance levels, and ensure the team receives regular reviews and one-on-one meetings. • Supervise, train, mentor, and motivate your team in a way that encourages autonomy, mastery, and purpose
- Demonstrate expertise as necessary, and ownership over all aspects of game code.
- Maintain current and working knowledge on industry technical developments, make recommendations as appropriate
- As necessary contribute code to the project for items such as advanced features, tools, utilities, etc.
- Partner with Director of Development to drive coding standards, development processes, and best practices for the department and project team
- Anticipate, identify, and present problem areas and develop preventative solutions
- Implement ongoing review processes to monitor the health of the product, particularly in the areas of stability, performance, and security
- Exemplify reliability, accountability, and professionalism in all work-related interaction
- Lead by example, creating a strong sense of purpose and community, promoting a culture of excellence and inclusivity, encouraging a sustainable work/life balance
Skills and Abilities
- Expert programming and architectural skills across multiple development environments
- Ability to coordinate effectively and build partnerships within the engineering team and other development verticals. Ability to manage up, down, and across.
- Excellent written and verbal communication. Comfortable interacting and presenting to all levels of the company, key stakeholders, and publishers.
- Excellent attention to detail and strong desire to iterate and improve on processes
- Demonstrate fundamentals of leadership, including clear and proactive communication, meeting moderation, and oversight of large cross-disciplinary initiatives
- Ability to manage multiple, competing tasks and be self-directed to meet deadlines in a quickly evolving environment with little to no supervision
- Positive attitude and ability to receive and provide objective and constructive feedback
- Ability to coach, manage, mitigate, and prioritize through stressful situations for you and your team
- Thorough understanding of project management and the art of making technical decisions
Education and Experience
- Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, or related degree, or equivalent work experience
- At least 7 years of experience delivering production-level code in a professional environment
- Must have a deep understanding of game code design, development processes, and industry trends
- Experience shipping multiple successful game products into the marketplace
- iOS or Android mobile development experience within the Unity environment
- Experience supporting a live operations service
- In-depth understanding of gaming industry software trends
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Our core hours are 10am to 6:00pm cst, which means you should be available for meetings etc. during this time
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for this role is typically $50,000 - $600,000.
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.